Thankfully, the start of May was also the end of some cold and rainy days, so I busted out the cheeriest dress I’ve made. This is a franken-pattern, a mash-up of my self-drafted Pink Dress Bodice and the skirt and sleeves of a Colette Peony.
I immediately discovered the downside of documenting every handmade item, though, because I discovered some serious…”Bucket Bottom” is what my British friend calls it… an unflattering situation going on in the back of this dress, and I suspect it can be blamed mostly on my use of quilting cotton. Experience sewers, is there some sort of alteration I can/should do to the bodice or waistline to remedy this? I never look at the backside of my clothes, so there is probably lots of room for improvement!
Friday, I wore my most recently finished item, a half-circle skirt made with the assistance of By Hand London’s glorious app and tutorials. My inspiration was this RTW midi skirt, but I will probably shorten it a few more inches. (I have some more of this fabric, and I’m considering a matching cropped tank, to fully copy the RTW look.)
On Saturday, I was assisting a photographer at a wedding, and if I hadn’t recently made a gray version of this ikat shirt, I would have been in serious trouble! (We usually dress all in black, though in this outdoor ceremony, it might have been better to wearing something bright green to blend in.)
Sunday, I wore this polka dot version of the BurdaStyle Double Layer Tank Dress, which I discovered from Four Square Walls. It’s a comically simple pattern, and probably not worth the $5.99 I paid for it – if you can draft the neckline and sleeves, it’s fairly simple to make a straight bodice and a-line skirt from there – but given how simple and flattering the pattern is, I’ll probably get my money out of it (especially during those hot Virginia summers).